For some reason ever since Circuit Breaker started, a lot of friends, even those who claimed that they do not cook/bake, have been cooking/baking and share their yummy food photos with me. One of the most frequently shared photos are those of Basque Burnt Cheese Cake. So this round, it’s my turn to share the end result of my Basque Burnt Cheese Cake baked using my Philips Air fryer. 🙂
What is a Basque Burnt Cheesecake?
Basically, a Basque Burnt Cheesecake is an intentionally burnt cheesecake. It originates in Basque Country in Spain, hence the name. The cheesecake is baked at a high temperature to get the beautiful burnt exterior (taste slightly bitter) with sweet and creamy interior that can help to balance the taste.
Apparently it’s traditional to serve it at room temperature as opposed to regular cheesecake, so all you need to do is to let it cool in the pan, remove, slice, and serve. But since I wanted to bake it for breakfast for the next day, I still let it chilled in the fridge overnight before I served it to Kpo Kia papa.
Basque Burnt Cheese Cake with Airfryer recipe
INGREDIENTS ( for a 6-inch round pan)
- 250g cream cheese (room temperature)
- 80g sugar
- 1 egg yolk (room temperature)
- 2 full eggs (room temperature)
- 0.5g teaspoon of vanilla extract (optional)
- 170g whipping cream
- 6g cake flour
- After the cream cheese is softened at room temperature, then stir to smooth
- Slowly add the sugar in a few batches, stir to smooth until the mixture does not feel the sugar particles
- Add the yolk and mix well
- Add whole eggs and mix well
- Add vanilla extract, whipping cream, and mix well
- Sift in cake flour into the mixture through the sieve and mix well
- Place the baking paper on the 6-inch round pan, pour the batter and poke off large bubbles on the surface
- Preheat Airfryer at 200 degree for 10 minutes, and bake batter 180 degree for 20-25 minutes (can adjust accordingly to the preferred burnt level of the cake, and the model of the airfryer)
- 奶油乳酪250g (室温)
- 蛋黄1个 (室温)
- 全蛋2个 (室温)
- 蛋糕/低筋面粉 6g
- (需先预热气炸锅于200度 10分钟)再烤180度 20-25分钟 (依个人想要的焦度和气炸锅款式调整)
To get the “rustic” looks, the parchment paper is crumpled so “wrinkles” will be shown on the edges of the cake.
I love the fact that this recipe gives me the full freedom of not having it to be perfect. While I never tried an authentic version of the Basque Burnt Cheese Cake, I have fallen in love with the simplicity of baking this cake, I hope I have the chance to try it out someday in Basque!